Thursday, June 6, 2013

How Do I Teach This Kid to Read? Teaching Literacy Skills to Young Children with Autism from Phonics to Fluency

 
I just wanted to pass on a recommendation for the book How Do I Teach This Kid to Read? Teaching Literacy Skills to Young Children with Autism, from Phonics to Fluency by Kimberly A. Henry, M.S.  I just recently got it and I'm thrilled the ideas and the CD that has printables that can be adapted to meet specific needs of students.  Lots of visual ways to support literacy development for those who need visual supports. 
 
The book has activities for Phonemic Awareness, Vocabulary, Comprehension and Fluency.  I found the section on comprehension particularly helpful for geneating ideas around how to work on comprehension with students who have limited verbal abilities.  I've been working this weekend on putting some of the activities together and I'm looking forward to embedding them in to the programs of the students I'm working with starting this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment