Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thursday Think: Connectivism

I'm an introvert who went to University to learn how to teach highschool mathematics.  A large portion of the first 14 years of my teaching career was spent doing exactly that.

I'm an idealist (or perhaps I'm a skeptic or a pesimist as the line seems to be a bit blurred).  I often look at things and see how they can be done better.  I have never been okay with keeping things status quo and I think I have to change jobs every so many years because I somehow make the current job that I'm in too big.
I'm a perfectionist.  This is not a good thing for me because it is rooted in a lot of insecurities that I have about myself.  I have to constantly fight to ensure that I'm working effectively and efficiently and not getting caught up on details that have no real return.

Lately I'm discovering that above all this I'm a humanist (a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity).  This is what has driven me to be everything else that I am.  I feel it is what defines me.

I've always believed that learning happens both outside and inside of you.  In order for things to be truly learned the outside part is important.  We do not learn or grow in isolation.  So it follows that I'm fascinated by the connectivist theory of learning. 

Here is the best  description of connectivism that I've been able to find online.

Here is a great video of the theory of connectivism works when we are thinking about 21st century learners...


And for me personally this links back to the idea of inclusion and how important it is.  If learning truly takes places through these connections what are we doing when disconnect a part of the population from others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment