Friday, July 23, 2010

Changing Plans Part 1: 2010-11 Themes

It seems as I develop plans for the year I'm filling up a bit more of the time on "Individual Programming then I was originally thinking.  My group work theme time look like its going to be three times a week (one full afternoon and two parts of the afternoon).  I'm also looking at everything else I'm bighting off and wanting to make sure we have enough time to do things right.  I am therefore putting my themes I was planning on hold for the year and am going to use the group work time for "fun stuff" instead. 

Kate's post over at "Teaching Learners with Multiple Complex Needs" got me thinking about my desire to do an "At the Movies" theme for the year and to study different movies throghout the year.  So... I'm jumping in with this plan for this year.  Here is what I'm thinking...

Mama Mia (August 31 to October 7, 2010)
Still trying to think this one through.  I'm putting it first because of the tie-in to finding your personal identify.  I'm also putting it here because it is just fun for our students.  I'm planning to do at lot of 70s stuff - tie-dieing, fondos, disco lights and music...etc.
Wizzard of Oz (October 12 to November 10, 2010)
I never used many of the ideas that I had last year as our school went in to "Pandemic Mode" due to illness and we also started doing some major transitional work.  I want to do this up right.  I'm choosing this time because of all the possible tie-ins to Halloween.
A Christmas Carol (November 15 to December 21, 2010)
Going back to Pete's Stuff and Kate's Blog to help me out here.  Want to tie this in to Christmas season.
The Princess Bride (January 5 to February 18, 2011)
This idea came from Kate's Blog.  I'm putting it here so that it goes over the Valentine's season.
Back to the Future (February 28 to April 1, 2011)
Planning to really focus in on the "Mad Scientist" part of this movie.  We are going to have some super science fun!
The Lion King (April 4 to May 13, 2011)
African theme for this one.  Cooking, crafts, music, dance...etc.
Ratatouille (May 16 to June 24, 2011)
A fun cooking movie to end the year.
Over the next few days I will be changing my theme page and expanding on all of this a bit more.  Just wanted to throw this change of plans out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment