Sunday, January 3, 2010

new-2-you: Plastiki (December 14, 2009)

N2ySo I'm changing gears with news-2-you. I'm going to move to doing a new paper each week and then just adding a couple of activities on to the topic of the paper to allow for some explorations for the students who learn through exploring (which is pretty much the whole class). I will try to post activities that I will be doing the following week each weekend.  Hopefully I will be able to stay more on top of this. As for the papers, I use different parts of what is there with different students.  So here is what I have lined up for the first week back (using the last week of December as I couldn't miss the opportunities that are so obvious with this paper).


Science/Sensory Explorations
Sink or Float Experiment
One thing to do with sink/float is to also look at shape and how it affects sinking and floating by using equal lumps of clay in different shapes.
Note that there are several different visuals on adapted learning for sink/float experiments.
Make Recycled Boats
Large Blow Up Boat Sensory Station: Planning to put out our large blow up boat filled with shredded Christmas paper as a snesory station that students can actually lay in.
Cooking
Banana Boats:  Cut banana down the middle and then put in chocolate chips, marshmellows, nuts...etc.  Wrap up in foil and bake in the oven and then enjoy a gooey treat :).
Games
The Arts (Drama, Music, Crafts...etc.)
Make Recycled Paper and then make "New Year's Cards" for family members.
Adapted P.E.
Port or Starboard Game

No comments:

Post a Comment